This chickpeas salad is one I slowly developed last summer. And at last I was satisfied. It just tasted so good and even my kids ate it (they are usually not happy for this type of salads).
Once upon a time, I tasted something similar at a small, shady restaurant in Antalya – can not even remember, what the restaurant is called . And the chickpea salad was just so delicious, I could not forget it. I am often really grateful for those small restaurants (or the “food-street” in Migros), where they have salad buffets. You can always find something really delicious there and I often get inspired to experiment with everything.
Chickpeas salad suits everything:
Last year I used this chickpeas salad most of the summer, because it was so easy to make, it suited almost everything (we barbecue a lot – all year long) and then it could last for a couple of days. And I do like, when you can use the same kind of rich salad for all possible – chicken, fish, beef, veal, pork or whatever you eat. That it also stays good for lunch the day after and you can even use the last rest until supper as a small supplement is just super.
Had we been in Turkey, I would have brought this dish to a picnic. “You can do that in Denmark too” you will probably say. Yes of course you can. We just do not do picnic here as when we are in Turkey. Only a single time or two on the beach maybe. But this chickpea salad is equally suitable for summer or winter. You do not need a barbecue or picnic to eat it.
Boil your chickpeas yourself:
You do not need that terrible many ingredients for this chickpea salad. And of course you do not have to follow my recipe completely. You can just use what you have. But this one is quite good. Chickpeas are not so tasteful itself – at least not when they come from a can. But cans are good in a narrow turn. I think, that the best chickpeas are clearly the ones you cook yourself. They just taste different. The bonus is that you can boil a huge portion, freeze them down, make a proper hummus or whatever you want. Hummus at home always brings happiness – you can find my recipe for it right here.
Find the right Feta cheese:
Although it is absolutely helpful to cook the chickpeas yourself, much of the flavor also comes from especially Nar ekisi, Pomegranate syrup, dill and italian parsley. If you are lucky to find a good salted Turkish feta cheese, it also helps you well on your way to a really good, tasteful salad. But it requires, that you find one of the right feta cheeses. Not those tame weak-kneeded blocks, you can buy wrapped in plastic in the supermarkets. It must swim in a (salt) brine, because it is the way it stays the best and preserves most of the taste. You can get some pretty good at your ethnic greengrocer.
So you can easily cook this chickpeas salad the day before you use it, earlier in the day or when you just have time for it. It stays fine and only wins in taste, if it rest a bit. You can serve this salad with these Tekirdag köftesi. The spiced flavor from the meatballs fits well with the slightly sour flavor from the salad.
No more talk – here comes the recipe. Afiyet Olsun.
Chickpea sallad - suitable for everything
- 2 cans chickpeas (about 200 grams dry chickpeas if you soak them and boil them first)
- 100 grams feta cheese, preferable turkish
- 10 pieces sweet Cherry tomtoes. in half or smaller pieces
- 1-2 small red onions, cut into thin slices
- 1 green Sivri pebber chili
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Sumak, sour turkish spice
- 1 tbsp chili flakes, turkis "pul biber"
- 2 tbsp Nar Eskesi, pomegranate syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small lemon, only the juice
Sådan gør du
- 1: Dry the chickpeas and sprinkle them with chili - leave them on the kitchen table for one hour2: Cut the red onions into slices and mix them with Sumak, olive oil, pomegranate syrup and lemon juice. Also let them soak for an hour on the kitchen table3: Chop the parsley and dill finely4: Cut the tomatoes and chili pepper5: Crumble the cheese in suitable large bites6: Mix it all together and serve with grilled meat, bread and a green salad
Be sure to mix the marinadeand the salad well before serving. And also serve a good bread. It is always so nice to sit and soak the remaining juice with the bread.